A Data Analyst has become one of the most sought-after jobs in India in this decade. With the digitalization of every industry and social media marketing on every step, it is becoming a booming sector of the corporate world. A data analyst basically collects and stores data for market research and increasing sales numbers. She/ He brings a kind of technical expertise to the company to ensure business performance increment by processing and designing data and measuring the accuracy of that data. A data analyst also helps the business use the present data to make better business decisions and deliver better services to consumers. This article will learn about the skills you need to become a data analyst and the career opportunities before you. You will also learn about the responsibilities you will have to carry as a data analyst in a company and the data analyst salary in India.
Data Analytics has become one of the most in-demand jobs of the decade, especially in 2021. India has emerged to become the second most prominent hub for data science jobs after the United States. This huge demand for data scientists has a high impact on the data analyst salary in India. Not only is the demand high, but there is an acute shortage of data analysts in the industry. These factors have made even an entry-level data analyst salary in India exceed expectations. With a huge salary package, an elite lifestyle, and bonuses, a Data Analyst is the best job to have a career in India in 2021.
AnalytixLabs is a leading player in providing training and capability building in the Business Analytics and Data Science field. It is a pioneer in AI training and is among the best institutes to pursue courses in Data Analytics, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, and Big Data.
Data Analyst Salary in India in 2021
The average base data analyst salary in India is Rs. 436,988. Entry-level data analyst salary in India is approximately Rs. 202,000 on average. The average junior data analyst salary in India after an experience of almost one year is around Rs. 341,169, including overtime pay and bonuses. On the other hand, the junior data analyst salary in India with experience of one to four years is around Rs. 419,357 annually. Five to nine years of experience can increase this average data analyst salary per month to Rs. 52,201, which equals around Rs. 686,419 annually. An experienced professional in this field with experience of 10-19 years can earn a total average of Rs. 928,295. 20 and higher years of experience can pay as much as Rs.1,750,000, making a data analyst salary per month to Rs.145,833.
Top Skills for Data Analyst
With the data analyst salary in India being one of the highest, the skills required for the job are also unique and abundant. Let’s discuss the most important skills a candidate must possess to land a high data analyst salary in India.
- Programming Languages: A data analyst must have a stronghold on programming languages like SQL, NoSQL, R, Python and MATLAB. These languages can help data analysts in data operations and database management systems.
- Data Cleaning and Preparation: 80% work of data professionals includes cleaning of data and its preparation. This makes it the key skill for anyone looking to pursue a career in this field and making progress.
- Creating Data Visualizations: Data visualizations make patterns and trends easier to identify and understand. Data analysts must know how to create plots and charts to present the data in a visual manner. This helps because humans are visual creatures by nature and would prefer looking at a visual than going through a spreadsheet full of numbers.
- Statistical Knowledge: Probability and statistics are some of the key skills that should be present in a data analyst. A strong foundation in these topics is immensely required and important. It helps in the analysis and exploration of data and gives a better understanding of the data you need to work with.
- Mathematics: Apart from just probability and statistics, topics like linear algebra and calculus also help data analysts a lot in data exploration and analysis in a better way. Although deep mathematical skills are not important, a rough knowledge will help you perform better at your job.
- Microsoft Excel: Microsoft Excel is undoubtedly one of the best data analytic tools out there, therefore a strong knowledge of Microsoft and excel is a skill every data analyst must possess. Excellent excel skills help a data analyst in performing data analysis more accurately.
These are the essential skills that a data analyst must possess to excel at their job and progress in the field.
Apart from these skills, many other skills also play an important role while applying for a data analyst job. A prospective employer will also look for some additional qualities in a candidate to choose the best possible person for the job. These qualities include:
- Communication Skills
- Critical Thinking
- Writing Skills
- Domain Knowledge
- Problem Solving
- A Methodical and Logical Approach
- Ability to Work Under Pressure and on Strict Deadlines
- Teamwork Skills
- Interpersonal Skills
- Accuracy and Attention to Detail
Responsibilities and Opportunities for a Data Analyst
A data analyst has various responsibilities. Some of the most important responsibilities of a data analyst are as follows:
- Collecting data and interpreting that data
- Analysing the data and its results
- Identifying trend and patterns in the data collected
- Reporting the results of data interpretation and analysis to other members of the company
- Defining the new data collection and analysis processes to be followed
- Working and collaborating with other teams, programmers, leaders, engineers and the management to help establish and reach business needs and goals
- Designing data systems and maintaining databases, including fixing data-related problems like coding errors
- Mining data from both primary and secondary sources
- Reorganising mined data in an easy format
- Interpreting data sets for predictive and diagnostic analytics
The opportunities in the field of data analytics are abundant. Top companies are looking to hire data analysts on very high pay and lucrative bonuses. Companies in every sector and industry are looking to hire data analysts to boost their sales and maximize profits. Some of these sectors include finance, banking, education, retail, healthcare, e-commerce, marketing, and advertising. The data analytics industry was estimated to be around $3.03 billion in size in 2019, and this number is expected to double by the year 2025. Analytics is currently estimated to be growing at a rate of 33.5% CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate), which is considered very healthy. This only goes on to show the rapid growth of data analytics in India.
Data analysis is also being adopted throughout India and has seen special growth in cities like Bangalore, Delhi, Pune, Hyderabad, Mumbai, and Chennai. Throughout India, data analysis is being used to solve technical problems in every industry, and data analytics has become a part of the daily routine of every company in major cities.
Some of the top companies that recruit data analysts are as follows:
- Tata Consultancy Services Ltd.
- EY (Ernst & Young)
- Accenture Technologies Solutions
- Amazon.com Inc
- Infosys Ltd.
- IBM India Private Limited
- Mu Sigma
- J.P. Morgan Chase Co. (JPMCC)
- HCL Technologies Ltd.
- The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc.
- American Express Co. (AMEX)
You may also like to read more on Top Data & Business Analytics Companies in India
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Is Data Analyst a good career?
Data analyst is a very good career option for freshers and graduates. The data analyst salary in India is very high as compared to other jobs, and the career in itself is very rewarding with bonuses, overtime pays, commissions and profit-sharing. The elite high-level lifestyle of data analysts in the industry also contributes to it being a desirable career option.
You may also like to read: Data Analyst vs. Business Analyst – Which is for you?
Q2. Is it hard to get a Data Analyst job?
Landing a data analyst job is not hard at all. Even if you’re starting from the bottom of the barrel and have to study certifications from scratch, getting a job as a data analyst can be very easy with the required knowledge and relevant skills. This is due to the acute shortage and high demand for professionals in the field.
Q3. Is Data Analysis a soft skill?
Data analysis in itself is not a soft skill but requires a number of soft skills to deal with. These include verbal and written communication, research, problem-solving, attention to detail, and teamwork.
Furthermore, actionable data analysis and interpretation is not just about the technical expertise but takes an overall business understanding. This is a crucial value add that many Analysts underestimate in the initial stage of their career.
You may also like to read: Difference Between Data Analysis and Interpretation
Now that we’ve discussed the Data Analyst salary in India, many of you may be interested in the field and looking forward to making a career in it. You should first make sure you have the right soft skills for the job mentioned above in detail. Once you notice you’ve acquired the soft skills, you can pursue a professional certification course in Data Analytics from a reputed Institute and be ready to take on the responsibilities of a Data Analyst.
You may also like to read: